Friday, February 4, 2011

Out of the Dust ***** (5 out of 5 stars)

If I could only describe this novel in one word I would have to use Beautiful. Hesse truly has a gift when it comes to writing. I haven't read any of her other works yet but I look forward to doing so in the future. The story follows a young girl named Billie Jo who is living during the Depression. If that's not enough she is also living in the Dust bowl on her father's farm, her mother dies in a freak accident, and Billie becomes disfigured from said accident. This poor girl goes through so much heartache and discouragement that you would think that this book would be uber depressing.
But it's just the opposite.
Hesse decided to make her story utterly unique by writing it entirely in free verse poetry. It may seem a little daunting at first, but the story flows so easily that one almost thinks that all literature should be written as creatively as this.

1 comment:

  1. This book touched my heart. Your review makes me want to re-read it! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete