Saturday, February 19, 2011

Staying Fat for Sarah Byrnes ** (2 out of 5 stars)

Yes yes I know. Another YAL book, but I can't help it. I have to read two a week so I don't have a whole lot of time to read other things. Anyway let's focus on what's important, and that is this story. I don't really know what to say. It wasn't a bad book by any means, but it was pretty intense. Especially for a young adult book. It tells the story of an overweight boy named Eric who is trying to preserve his friendship with Sarah Byrnes, a burn victim. Sarah was burned when she was very little and was not allowed re-constructive surgery by her abusive father and so has to live with scars covering her entire body. The book explores hers and Eric's friendship and when it is put to the test how it pulls through. I liked the idea of an unlikely alliance between two misfits and how their friendship is so strong, but I wasn't a big fan of all of the controversial issues in the book. Don't get me wrong, I'm all for pushing the envelope, but I felt that the author was trying a bit too hard to be edgy. Along with talking about abuse and bullying it explored the topics of depression, teen suicide, questioning beliefs, abortion, extreme violence, sex, stalking, and a whole lot of other stuff. It was a decent read, but I wasn't in love with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment