Saturday, November 20, 2010

Of Mice and Men *** (3 out of 5 stars)

Let's discuss one of the classics..... Of Mice and Men. My mind is fickle with this one. On one hand I think it is beautifully written. Steinbeck certainly knows how to grab his audience's attention. He also writes on subjects that everyone should know, "The American Dream", acceptance, intolerance, and friendship. On the other hand, none of his characters are what I would call endearing. I mean, your heart just melts for Candy when his dog gets shot, and how could you not like Slim? But you don't really get to know any of them. I want to know the true reason for Lennie and George's relationship. Why Slim isn't married yet, and how Crooks ended up working at that miserable place. The one thing I love most about Steinbeck is that his endings are not what you would expect them to be. I won't give away the ending to this one, but it breaks my heart every time. Someday I will be ambitious and embark on The Grapes of Wrath, but until then I can be satisfied with this 107 page read.

No comments:

Post a Comment