Thursday, March 3, 2011

In Cold Blood **** (4 out of 5 stars)

Creepy but Fascinating.
This book is the true story of two men: Dick Hickock and Perry Smith who killed all four members of the Clutter family late one night in their home. It follows their plan, their escape, their capture, and their executions.
These men are so interesting to read about because they seem like ordinary men, and yet they were able to slaughter four innocent people without even bating an eyelash. Truman Capote is a very good writer and an interesting guy as well. Here are some facts that I learned about him.
  • Harper Lee (To Kill a Mockingbird) worked as his assistant and Capote dedicated this book to her.
  • Capote also wrote Breakfast at Tiffany's. Basically the complete opposite of this book.
  • While doing research for this book in Kansas (the place where the Clutters lived) Dick and Perry were arrested and Capote was able to interview them personally.
Capote claims that every word in this book is true. I'm not sure if I necessarily believe that, but it makes it just a little more creepy to think about.

2 comments:

  1. 2nd scariest book I every read. I will never re-read this one!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really like this book, which makes me feel like a freak. Oh well. I hadn't heard these little facts! Interesting!

    ReplyDelete